Sunday, October 21, 2012

What makes you happy? PART 1

I have really been emotional lately and I am pretty sure it is because of the years of build up. I learned growing up that if something bothered me or made me sad, to not express this feeling. The only emotion I continuously expressed was anger. I used to cry a lot without a moment's notice, but somewhere between high school and college I stopped. I have only genuinely full out cried 3 times in the past 3 years. I know that can't be healthy. Thanks to a conversation with a friend tonight, I am seeing that crying does not mean you are weak and is sometimes necessary.

A few years ago I started the 31 Days to Reset Your Life program where you complete daily activities to find out what is important to you and maximize your life. (I actually started this 6 times since then and never got past day 10.) One of the activities was to list 100 things that make you happy. Lately people have been asking me what my hobbies are, what I really enjoy doing, and what truly makes me happy, and I have not been able to come up with an answer. I honestly have not been truly consistently happy for a little while now. Maybe revisiting this list and beginning to express my feelings a lot more will help.

100 things that make Mandisa happy
1. R&B music
2. shooting 3 pointers
3. jokes
4. babies making faces
5. hugs from students
6. good male company
7. late night car talks
8. bright colors
9. how I look in the mirror
10. reggae/dancehall/soca
11. Dominica
12. my crazy/interesting family
13. helping younger students
14. getting my nails done
15. funky hairstyles
16. the smell of a familiar man on my pillow
17. chocolate cake
18. margaritas
19. sweet tea vodka
20. my birthday
21. other people's birthdays
22. Fridays
23. snow days
24. going home early from work
25. making fun of my students
26. when people give me a nickname
27. happy hours
28. finding cute earrings
29. thrifting
30. little children reading books/sounding smart
31. being able to sleep in 
32. flirting
33. a good kiss
34. hearts
35. a clean smelling room
36. getting rid of clutter
37. old school hip hop
38. a good workout
39. finding a new pair of cute shoes
40. perfect pair of jeans
41. doodling during boring meetings
42. completing a puzzle/word game
43. interracial groups of friends
44. stepping
45. jumping double dutch
46. watching a good comedy film
47. teaching young people step
48. popping lipgloss
49. clean teeth
50. locs

The first 50 are listed here since I realized 100 would be a little long. Look out for part 2 of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment