Monday, October 1, 2012

Wanna be on top?

It is October 1st. I guess I have to accept that summer is over now. That being said this past weekend was Fall Fest in Love Park and with that came my fashion show debut!! Saturday was indeed a VERY long day, but a fun and exciting one!

My eyes were opened to a little bit of what the fashion industry is like. It all felt very ANTMesque! (I've watched every episode). First there was a casting call about 3 weeks ago. I went there and did not know what to expect. I filled out a sheet with my name, age, and measurements and patiently waited for the designers to arrive. Thirty minutes later, I was still sitting waiting with 2 other girls. At that point we were just asked one by one to walk for the two designers who were there. I had no idea what to do since the only runway walking I'd done was playing around with my friends, but I put on my heels and walked for the camera. I had already done some modeling for one of the designers in the show, so I think I was an automatic pick for them.

When the final model spreadsheet was emailed out a week later including measurements and dress size, I felt big for the first time! Everyone was a size 0-4. I thought I was a 4 once, but the size 4 H&M dress I bought (that looked like it was my size) wouldn't even fit over my shoulders! This feeling got worse when I went to the model fitting and saw the other models in person. Not only were they taller than me, they were all sticks and also pretty much all had the same look. Now don't get me wrong, I love my body 97% of time, and am pretty sure I'll never be a size 4 even if I starved myself (thank my grandma's thighs and hips for that). BUT, there's something about being around 20 women who are thinner than you that'll make even a fit girl feel like Precious. I quickly realized I had been selected only for BluDahlia since they actually make clothes that fit the average woman and I wouldn't fit into any other designer's clothing.

Once I left there I swore I was going to go on a juice or fruit/veggie fast for the whole week before the show, but alas I love food way too much to do that. The night before the show I decided not to go out so I wouldn't feel nor look tired. I was supposed to be there by 9am and we weren't walking until 4:30pm so I knew it would be a long day! The day included time spent in hair and makeup by AnBrea's Beauty Salon, a lot of watching the other models try on clothing, watching the other designers collections on the runway, trying not to eat all the delicious tuna pita sandwiches, practicing my face in the mirror, and running through my walk in my head. For once I was not nervous! If you know me, you know that I get nervous about everything all the time; from a major interview to asking my dad for a dollar. This time I was fully confident that I would look fabulous, wouldn't fall and probably would walk better than some of the models who went before me who are actually represented by an agency.

Check out the pics and look out for more modeling updates from me!





No comments:

Post a Comment